Is thinking up new titles for each day. I am stuck. Perhaps I can just start with "blog post" and carry on with an infinite series of "Re: Re: Re:s"?
What's up with me, cool cats? On the weekend, I went to Alison's hen party, which was a v civilised affair, at which I learned:
1) the difference between a cosmopolitan, a manhattan and a margharita
- my brain can only store limited amounts of information at once. All these cocktails were filed under "cocktail, in martini glass" in my brain and thus indistinguishable. I actually didn't learn what a manhattan was in hen party itself, I just learned that it wasn't a cosmopolitan or a margharita. Which I'm not sure I spelt right.
2) what gin rags were
- I wanted to tell you to google this, but it doesn't appear on google. Good job too, because man, they sound mank. I'll tell you later.
3) My personal alcohol tolerance
- even lower than previously imagined
On Sunday, I went out driving with my father, during which I gained a temporary painful dent in my thumb from using the handbrake so much, and with my mother, which was an experience never to be forgotten. I also watched Dr Who. Dr Who! In case that exclamation was unclear, let me make it clear: I loved it. The end.
Tim had already left for Newcastle when I got back to Oxford, which was sad, and I felt a bit sad as I went up to the house, thinking about how terrible I am at driving and how soon my test is and how poor I am and how little time I have to do things and how much medicine I have forgotten, but I opened the door to my room and found
1) Tim had done all my laundry and folded it
+
2) he had made my bed
+
3) there was a card on my desk
+
4) and a box of chocolates hidden in my wardrobe
= I gained some perspective about how my life was not awful.
Which was a plus.
Today I started my first day of shadowing. Put in 3 cannulae, following Dr Yarrow's famous 3-point fail-safe cannula insertion technique instruction:
1) You've got to have balls
2) Keep the skin tension tight
3) Nobody knows
Number 3 wasn't an instruction, btw. Number 3, nobody could remember. Dr Yarrow was not there so he was unable to enlighten us. I'm sure he'll be glad to know that his 3 point instruction is so good though that you don't even need number 3.
In other news, South shore road, where hopefully I will be living next year, is now the hippest street in Britain, according to an online poll. Where the internet has spoken, let there be peace.
In other other news,
1) I am into lists today
2) I went shopping at Waitrose after I went to the gym. Lost my head, bought two boxes of blackberries (at 10p each! a luscious bargain), avocadoes, gorgonzola, a pack of reduced stirfry materials, a pizza, a mushroom, four onions, twelve tomatoes and a pack of brie that is due to go off tomorrow. Came home and realised I had just baked a brioche and forgotten all about it. Ate brioche, effectively spoiling dinner. Put everything in fridge and decided not to think about it.
3) Never go shopping when you are hungry.
4) Went driving around a series of roundabouts today. Roundabouts are confusing. Do you know what is most confusing? No, me neither. Maybe everything.
5) Spent about 20 minutes trying to put my nose piercing through the outy hole. You know, as opposed to the hole you put it into (easy to locate), the hole it comes out of the other end (a little bugger if you ask me.) Finally succeeded, with much euphoria. You probably didn't want to know that, but it was such a feeling of success that I felt I had to share it with everyone.
6) Never leave your nose piercing out for a week.
7) 22:20 is not an unreasonable hour to go to bed.
8) Good night cool cats. See you in the morning.
xxxxxx
Okay, my tips for dealing with roundabouts:
ReplyDelete1. Try not to think about how they actually work in practice. With all the cars going around and merging in and changing lane out and how the hell does this not end up in an accident every single time? Okay, scratch that - just DO NOT THINK about it
2. Look right, indicate right (sometimes), indicate left (always)