Baking at 2am is a surreal experience.
To compound my general feeling of not being with it, I have decided to bake three different kinds of biscuits.
It seemed
a good idea at the time.
I am baking three kinds of biscuits because it's valentine's day soon,
and I wanted to bake Tim some biscuits
and I know he loves jammy dodgers, bourbons and custard creams
So I thought I would make him home made versions of those.
Well.
The other reason I'm baking at 2 in the morning is because I get off the 2pm till midnight shift, and I'm not sure I'll have time to bake in the morning and let the biscuits cool before I have to go to work. And that would be a disaster.
More disastrous than lack of sleep.
The other other reason I'm baking at 2am is because we are going to Queenstown soon, and instead of booking a flight from Palmerston North to leave at 7am, by accident we booked a flight from Wellington to leave at 7am. Which is 2 hours drive away from Palmy. Which means we have to leave - latest - 3:30am.
A very inconvenient time to do a 2 hour drive.
So we have decided between us that Tim will go to sleep as soon as he gets home from work on Tuesday, and I will do the opposite - stay up as long as possible on Tuesday morning.
Hence the baking.
I made a mess.
:-(
But I cleared it up again!
Hurrah!
Then I made another mess
:-(
Jammy dodgers are messy as.
And after all that mess I really only have one very good jammy dodger to show for it, and even that is, if you are being very kind, kind of authentic and rustic. Which is to say, it's sort of misshapen. And sad.
I only made 3 huge ones (as the recipe suggested), so 33% is not too bad
(FACT - that's better than the stats for the first open heart surgery series. Which I believe was 0% so ha! And they used 8 dogs. And I only baked 3 biscuits. So I think I win.)
One of them smashed into little pieces so it looks like an angry cake has smashed my biscuit in the face and gave it a nosebleed
One of them I flipped by accident, so it looks quite tanned
- this is another thing about baking in this house, or why it is madness to attempt to bake in this house, especially at 2 in the mrning after an ED shift, where I have just spent the last hour suturing someone's little finger back together and i feel quite addled - the oven is RUBBISH
It burns everything on the bottom and refuses to cook it on the top
so we have to cook cakes on the very very top shelf so it's not raw on top and burnt on the bottom
:-(
my jammy dodgers! my poor jammy dodgers :-( :-( :-(
The bourbons and custard creams are turning out ok so far but they were really very messy to make.
So there you have all of my reaosns for baking at 2 in the morning
And really
I think they are quite good ones
But I wouldn' t recommend it.
You wouldn't thin kbaking is a very intellectual activity. But 2 in the morning is
just not the right time for baking.
Wise words for you all. And free.
So there you have all of my reaosns for baking at 2 in the morning
And really
I think they are quite good ones
But I wouldn' t recommend it.
You wouldn't thin kbaking is a very intellectual activity. But 2 in the morning is
just not the right time for baking.
Wise words for you all. And free.
Anyway
I'll let you know how I get on on Valentine's Day!
love
Connie
No comments:
Post a Comment