Sorry for my utter failure at updating this blog and, no doubt, at actually seeing you all in real life too. The truth is that buying a house, going to work, and acrobatic rock and roll have swallowed, digested, and thoroughly extracted the nutrition from my life such that I am left with only the fibrous remains, not enough to make a tasty blog post.
So in no particular order, here are the events that I have encountered since I last saw you.
1) House buying
Yes, we have a house.
,!!!
Yes, everyone warned us the process would be unbearably slow and frustrating, and yes it was both of those things in abundance. Having seen and offered and been accepted on a house in September within a matter of 48 hours, it was not until 2 weeks ago that we finally managed to seal the deal. But now it's ours. And we have filled it with a million items of ikea furniture. We are getting ready for DIY hell, or possibly heaven. Tim has bought a book that weighs a ton filled with useful-looking pictures that actually convey remarkably little information. I have already tried and failed to remove some offending wallpaper, and also half screwed a load of things into walls where they clearly didn't want to be. Also, there is a random square of carpet that has been cut out of one of the upstairs bedrooms. Why? Why not? I am a bit doolally with excitement, and can't wait to put it all together and then - then - we can finally unpack our wedding presents and have a housewarming! Waffles, anyone?
2) the wedding
So we attended Luke and Julia's wedding on the weekend, down in Cornwall. God, Cornwall is far away. But it was a beautiful weekend, and the day of the wedding itself was bright and sunny and absolutely freezing. Notable highlights included: skimming stones into the sea.
; Helen and Jamie arriving in a convertible that didn't convert and had no windows to glamour and acclaim on Friday but leaving to downpour and towels on Sunday ("right. We need to fully waterproof ourselves."); seeing the NZ crew again ("don't you know that Palmerston North is the centre of the universe?") and of course the lovely couple, looking splendid and very happy. Who doesn't love a good wedding?
Stylish fur tippeting from Julia
The cravat was tied by Tim, more or less because he happened to be there, following instructions on youtube. "I feel as if I just walked into a very important job by accident" said Tim afterwards, but I think he did it very well, even if he did get unnecessarily close to Luke as part of it.
3) Acro
So Tim and I have got into acro rock in a big way. It is possibly one of the silliest dances ever invented and looks ridiculous and perhaps that's why we love it so. Naturally we're shit at it just as good as the people in that video. Everyone else in the team appears to be doing a phd in chemistry and outrageously young, though it turns out we are not the oldest ones there! Hurrah! So we are going to team practices on Sunday and Tuesday and the Thursday is authentic rock and roll and I really didn't imagine there would come a point in my life where I'm doing quite so much dancing. Well, life is full of surprises. And upside down spinny flippy twirly things too.
4) the job
Goes on apace. I've finally managed to get the hang of the PASCAL laser and directed it at aomeone's retina with good result. No one went blind. Hurrah! Surgery progresses. Things get better. And I've commandeered Tim's electric bike. It's all uphill (easy-pedal-assisted uphill) from here.
5) Skiing.
I almost forgot we went skiing in the end of January. God it feels like forever ago. We were on this fantastic week long deal which included copious breakfast, a 3-course meal in the evenings with wine, and endless free cake. I ate so much cake. And so much potato, cheese and bacon, which seemed to be what more or less every meal consisted of. In fact, on going home I've been inspired to make my very own version of tartiflette, but on a pizza. Consider that, boys and girls. Potato, cream, cheese and bacon on a pizza. It doesn't really bear thinking about. But it really is delicious. And it's just what you need after acro rock (but definitely not before.) And it definitely aids in going down fast fast fast down a mountain, even if the laws of physics deny it helps by adding weight and acceleration, it helps in motivation in getting down there in double fast time so you can have double helpings.
Xxxx
No comments:
Post a Comment