Today, Tim phoned to say he was going to have dinner with some family in Sunderland. So I took the opportunity to make some delicious food while he was away, to EAT ALL BY MYSELF!
Haha, jokes. I left him some, because I am the best person in the world. Fact.
Wontons are delicious, and what got me onto making them today was 1) I haven't had them for a while, and my food attention span is like a goldfish who's just infarcted its frontal lobe i.e. MINIMAL and 2) in the delicious Vietnamese restaurant Tim and I went to in Berlin they served vegetarian versions of everything except wontons. In fact, I have never come across a vegetarian wonton. Fact.
I ate them anyway, because I decided that ethics was for losers when it comes to wontons (Fact. I am full of facts today!) Then I suffered a crippling attack of Guilti-itis, plus, I was intrigued. Why weren't vegetarian wontons possible? Why have I never seen one? HOW CAN THEY NOT EXIST?
Note: I have not googled 'vegetarian wontons' so google may tell you otherwise.
Edited to add: man, I have now googled vegetarian wontons and turns out, there are shedloads of them. I might have guessed.
Edited to add: Google, eh? Insufferable know-it-all.
So anyway, I didn't know they existed before I made them, so I made up my own recipe, comprising tofu and mushrooms. Yes, tofu and mushrooms. It may sound unappetising, but let me assure you, with just one taste, you would probably sell your own mother into slavery just for a bowl.
A bowl full of wontons that is. Not just any bowl. You're not heartless, after all.
And because I wanted to procrastinate rather than read about management of refractory accelerated hypertension, I decided to share how to make them with you, my beautiful readers.
The first thing to know about Chinese food is that it is stunningly easy. Chinese food is based on 3 easy rules. They are:
1) Garlic
2) Coriander
3) Ginger
Put those items in sufficient quantities in your food and you'll have everyone swooning.
Other players in this drama include
4) Soy sauce
5) Spring onions
As sparse as a Beckett play.
To make wontons, you need some wonton wrappers.
Happy belly! That is something we all like.
Layers of goodness and joy.
You should also prepare some delicious broth on the side to eat with this. Here's some I made earlier.
To make this broth, simply put whatever you like inside, plus the main players of Chinese food! BOOM. 1 delicious broth.
Place a wonton wrapper on a plate.
Pile it high with delicious things.
Note of warning! Do not pile it as high as I have here. Pile it about a quarter as high. I got overexcited. I have no photo of the correct amount, because it turns out that taking photos of food without smearing your camera all over with stuff is incredibly hard. I did not succeed. On the plus side, I now have a very tasty camera.
Fold it over to make a little envelope full of love. Love and the key players of Chinese food.
Orientate it thus, with the fat bottom fold side towards you:
Then you have to sit it up, and fold one end over the other. It is incredibly hard to show what I mean, and I ended up smearing my camera all over with tasty coriander while doing this. But this below is a sort of intermediate stage...
See those two corners at the bottom? Put one over the other. And you'll get to this!
I think it looks a bit like a lady in a bonnet.
A lady in a bonnet with no friends.
Awwww.
It doesn't take long before friends appear, however.
All you have to do is boil these in water for 3-5 minutes. I insert here a gratuitous photo.
Pour the broth over, and enjoy! :)
I read about half of this and was busy righteously exclaiming "What about soy sauce dammit! Connie always told me there were five ingredients!!!!!" and then I read further and you effectively soothed my ruffled feathers.
ReplyDeleteI am jealous of your dinner.