Friday, 7 September 2012

Nights, nights

Just finished the 1st of a 7 day series of nights, and sitting in my sitting room, wondering is it ok to have pizza for breakfast? Pizza and weirdly shaped hash browns. I think always YES!

Tim has gone to Wellington to watch the All Blacks play so the house is strangely quiet. We are doing a sad shift of overlapping nights again - we've never been on nights together, but have always been on nights either just before or after each other - so I haven't seen him properly since last Monday and won't see him properly again until next Monday (10 days time). Sad!

Nights are weirdly short here - 8 hours - and days are disturbingly long: a long day is 16 hours long. 16 hours! That means you literally (and never have I used the word 'literally' more accurately) cannot get 8 hours sleep, a fact which I find very sad as I am a constant craver of the 8 hours sleep. On the other hand, I am disconcerted by waking up after nights and having time to do more than just shower, eat, and go to work, so it's all swings and roundabouts. But I think I would prefer to have more sleep.

(update: pizza is delicious for breakfast!)

Anyway, a quick hello from me and a hope that you are all well and happy back in the UK. Let me know how you're getting on - it's a bit of a lonely week here in NZ! But then, nights always are.

2 comments:

  1. Well, we had an unexpected week of warmish weather which culminated in a super sunny Saturday. I got more tanned from Saturday than I have previously all summer (and probably last year too).

    We went and ate Tapas on a boat opposite the Watershed, then went to look around Redcliffe caves (and we got to go in a special part of the caves not open to the public, as Henry's parents are converting a warehouse above there to live in). Then we went onto their boat and drank some wine, then we went in the other boat for a zip around the harbour (or a pootle as the speed limit is 4-8mph, but we did cheat and go quickly when we turned around). Then the boat broke hilariously and wouldn't go into gear, cue much clambering around and yanking of the gear lever, culminating in said lever detatching from the boat and us having to cadge a tow home off a random yellow boat and arriving back in considerably less style than we left.

    So that is what I have been up to, NZ sounds fabulous. I think you should make lemonade.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. 8 hour long night shifts?! That is AWESOME- 16 hour days less so!

    I spend my time sitting in a GP office, seeing patients. During my 3 hour lunch breaks I plan what to eat, do my ePortfolio, and do research for CT applications. Unsurprisingly, thinking about what to eat takes up most of my time!

    Hope you are settling in well :) Ching xx

    ReplyDelete