Revision.
It feels like I have been revising for my ENTIRE LIFE.
Which can't be true, because I must have spent some of my life actually learning stuff to revise, right?
Anyway, I just wanted to share with you
that I am at that stage in revision
where everything is distracting
because nothing is as dire as doing more revision
food?
yes
I will eat it
a rubbish tv programme?
I will happily
happily watch it
Minesweeper?
You don't want to watch me play minesweeper
Update my blog
with no actual content
just whittering about how much I hate revision?
Yes, thanks. Lovely. I'll take that. That's a freebie.
I just thought I'd record today in my blog for posterity
today is the day I have had ENOUGH of revision
this will, however, make no actual difference to the amount of revision I do in the future, as it seems my life is basically going to be one big revision fest over and over again. And with revision, it doesn't even END, because even if you could theoretically stop learning stuff, you NEVER have to stop REVISING STUFF. NEVER.
:-/
Listen, ophthalmology textbook, I am weary. I am weary of knowing that the medial rectus inserts 5.5mm from the limbus, whereas the lateral rectus inserts 6.9mm from the limbus and the inferior rectus inserts 6.5mm from the limbus, that the inferior lacrimal duct opening is slightly more medial than the superior, that the three principal actions of the superior oblique is depression, abduction and excyclotorsion while the three principal actions of the superior rectus is elevation, medial duction and incyclotorsion, that the lateral rectus is supplied with one of the anterior ciliary arteries while all the other rectus muscles are supplied with paired anterior ciliary arteries, while the long and short posterior ciliary arteries supply the uveal tract (the short anastomosing within the circle of Zinn to supply the optic nerve), and I DEFINITELY am not interested in the suspensory ligament of Lockwood. No. I'm not.
All of that stuff just spilled out of my head. It's like I can just open my head....and all that stuff can just fall out. It's inexhaustible! It's pushed everything else out! I have nothing else going on in my head. At all. Nothing.
Yesterday one of my friends asked me, 'so Connie, how does the combined oral contraceptive work again?' and despite having been on O&G for the last THREE MONTHS, when I could have explained this in my sleep, for a second my mind went totally blank, apart from a tiny voice said, 'hmm, well that definitely isn't on the ophthalmology syllabus. Wouldn't you be more interested in the different kinds of glands in the eye ( Meibomian, which is a sebaceous, holocrine gland; the glands of Zeiss, which are serous; the 2 types of accessory lacrimal gland, the principal lacrimal gland- a tubuloacinar structure derived from surface ectoderm and lined with cuboidal epithelium - occasionally bilayered), and of course the goblet cells of the conjunctiva which are more numerous in the inferonasal region of the eye (why? WHO KNOWS)" and then I realised I'd blanked out for about 1 minute and the conversation had moved on.
Isn't it fascinating that the iris only has epithelium on its posterior surface (the anterior surface is really a modified basement membrane, which doesn't count), while the lens only has epithelium on its anterior surface? (I actually do find this fascinating, which...I don't know what that says about me right now.) That there is carbonic anhydrase in the non-pigmented ciliary body epithelium but not in the pigmented (which, by the way, lie together apex to apex, not base to base: there are no tight junctions in the non-pigmented epithelium but there are in the pigmented epithelium - or wait, is it the other way round? - and they form part of the blood-aqueous barrier), that....
No?
I am daily astonished by just how much anatomy (oh, what a small word for the world of pain that is the anatomy of the head and neck, eye, and brain), embryology, pharmacology, and OPTICS, FRIGGING OPTICS that there is in the world.
You know
the only thing that keeps me going
is knowing my sister is going to medical school
and she doesn't know ANY of this yet!
Nothing!!!
When I think about how much stuff I know now compared to how much I knew when I started medical school, oh boy. I fill up with hysterical laughter thinking how difficult it all was. It was so! difficult! And she doesn't know ANY OF IT.
Ha! Ha! Ha!
Oh, I'm so happy. Oh, thank goodness for that. That's cheered me right up.
Nothing like a bit of schadenfreude for your nearest and dearest.
Now excuse me, I'm off to draw 50 ray diagrams on the use of the Porro prism in the indirect ophthalmoscope.
And also, maybe watch an episode of Masterchef Australia.
Weep for me.
It's quite hard to weep for someone who's in the throws of so much schadenfreude. But I managed a tear.
ReplyDeleteSurely you mean throes, unless you are implying the schadenfreude is like a series of comforting, warm blankets which I have piled on the threadbare sofa of my soul. Which seems reasonable, now I come to consider it.
DeleteI'm a year away from the FRCA Primary and I already feel like this! It's been quite nice not having that constant pang of "OHGODISHOULDBEREVISING" guilt though!!
ReplyDeleteWhat are you revising for?
Ching xx